REDUCE, Reuse, Recycle!
Did you know that the three R’s are in order?
By that, we mean that using the three R’s of Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle are organized in order of importance - first, reduce your impact, and where you have impact, try and reuse!
Can’t reduce or reuse any more? That’s when you move to recycle!
There’s hundreds of things every household can do to reduce your impact!
A common choice in the 2020’s, lead in some areas by initiatives from commercial grocery stores, is to forgo plastic bags, opting instead to purchase or make reusable grocery bags.
Reducing your dependence on pre-packaged items, investing in reusable containers, or beginning to compost at home can all make an impact.
Check out these tips from across the web for more ideas!
Hinton has many ways to re-use items and avoid their fate in the landfill!
You can use items to create an up-cycled treasure of your own - find inspiration here from Good Housekeeping.
Many items with use remaining are sold and traded via social media and other online marketplaces like Kijiji - this can be a great way to turn your unwanted items into cash!
Looking for ideas that provide more support to your community?
View a detailed flyer with a list of recyclable items and recycling tips (PDF).
Please sort into:
- All plastic containers
- All Plastic Bags
- All plastic bags including grocery & shopping bags that are not soiled.
- Office Paper
- Any colour, Paper clips and staples are OK. Shredded office paper accepted, preferably bagged.
- Low Grade Paper
- Construction paper, brown paper bags, blueprints, paper egg cartons, carbon paper, sugar, flour & pet food bags.
- This includes all newspaper, TV guides, comics, flyers, inserts & auto traders.
- All glossy magazines, catalogues flyers etc.
- Old Corrugated Cardboard
- Please flatten all boxes. Staples, tape or a little paper is OK.
- Clear Glass
- Clear glass jars, containers, window pane glass etc. Jars must have labels (low grade paper) and lids (tin or plastic) removed. Broken and whole glass is acceptable. NO: auto glass, coloured glass, ceramics or china.
- Tin Cans
- All tin, steel or aluminum cans, labels removed (low grade paper), rinsed and flattened. Tin foil is acceptable.
- Computers, Electronics & Accessories
- Obsolete personal computers (CPUs, servers & monitors), printers, cables, laptops and all sizes of TVs.
- Aerosol Paint Containers & Paint Cans
- Paint aerosol containers, paint and paint cans. Container sizes from 100ml to 24L.
- Printer Cartridges
- Ink jet & laser printer cartridges, e.g. Canon, HP, IBM, Xerox & many more.
- Rechargeable & alkaline batteries.
- Household Aerosol Cans
- Household aerosol cans, fire extinguishers & small green propane tanks.
- Refundable Containers
- Pop, juice, milk, beer, water etc.
- Compost (Seasonal May- September)
- Recycle your yard waste. Bin for grass, leaves & vegetable garden waste. NO: Bags, containers, kitchen or food waste or large branches/trees.