2021 Municipal Election
The next Town of Hinton general municipal election is on
Monday, October 18, 2021.
Electors will be voting for one mayor and six town councilors.
|Nomination Period||January 1, 2021 to September 20, 2021 (12 p.m. noon)|
|Campaign Period||January 1, 2021 to December 31, 2021|
|Advance Voting Opportunities||TBD|
|Election Day||October 18, 2021|
|Campaign Disclosure Statement Deadline||March 1, 2022|
Qualifications of a Candidate
A person may be nominated as a candidate in the Town of Hinton municipal election if, on Nomination Day, the person is:
- 18 years of age or older,
- A Canadian citizen,
- A resident of Town of Hinton for the six consecutive months immediate preceding Nomination Day, and
- Not otherwise ineligible or disqualified.
Sections 22 – 24 of the Local Authorities Election Act set out under what circumstances a person is not eligible for nomination. Anyone submitting a nomination is responsible for ensuring they are not in violation of any condition of eligibility.
Every nomination of a Candidate shall be completed through the submission of Nomination Form and Candidate’s Acceptance. Each nomination form must be fully completed, and include the signatures of at least 5 eligible Electors. To ensure validity of nominations, a Candidate may submit more than the required 5 Electors’ signatures. If a nomination is not signed by at least 5 Electors, the Returning Officer cannot accept the form.
The Town of Hinton does not collect a deposit to file nomination papers.
Nomination Forms Checklist
- Form 4, Nomination Paper and Candidate’s Acceptance completed
- Minimum of 5 signatures from eligible electors in Hinton
- Form 4 is commissioned by the Returning Officer or a Commissioner for Oaths
- Form 5, Candidate Financial Information completed
- Release of Candidate Information completed
- Release of Official Agent Information completed (if applicable)
Nomination papers must be accepted by the Town's Returning Officer before a candidate can incur any campaign expenses or accept contributions.
- Download the Town of Hinton Nomination Package for information about deciding to run, nominations, campaigning, and other election and information resources.
- Visit the Alberta Municipal Affairs Municipal Elections website for access to several resources, including a link to the Local Authorities Election Act.
Election Information Sessions
Interested in running in the 2021 Municipal Elections as a candidate? Join an upcoming “Hinton Votes” session and find out how. Learn about important election processes for candidates, including how to register, upcoming deadlines and changes to rules and regulations.
Join here via our YouTube channel.
Hinton Votes: Virtual Information Session for 2021 Municipal Elections
Monday, March 22, 2021 at 6 pm - COMPLETED
Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 6 pm (Event details and YouTube link here)
Friday, July 16, 2021 at 6 pm
Thursday, September 2, 2021 at 6 pm