Short-Term Rentals

Hinton Town Council approved a new Short-Term Rentals Bylaw (No. 1162) in 2022 to establish requirements and regulations for the operation of short-term residential accommodations for periods of up to thirty (30) consecutive days.  

There are two types of short-term residential rental accommodations:

  1. Rental of an entire dwelling (Non-Principal Residence)
  2. Rental of individual rooms or spaces in dwelling where the host also lives (Principal Residence)  

A valid Business Licence (application form link here) will be required to operate both Non-Principal and Principal Residence Short-Term Rentals.  A Development Permit for a home-based business (application form link here) is required if the host/operator resides at the rental premises and is renting out sleeping room(s).  Each short-term rental will require a fire prevention inspection to ensure compliance with Alberta Building Code.  Please phone Development Services 780-865-6010 for more information on fire prevention inspection. 



Business Licence Application 


Fire Prevention Inspection





Business Licence Application 


Home-Based Business Development Permit 


Fire Prevention Inspection



A host/operator who operates a short-term rentals accommodation in a non-principal residence must designate a property manager who is local to Hinton as part of their business licence application and must ensure the property manager has access to the licensed premises and authority to make decisions in relation to the premises at all times that the short-term rental accommodation is operated.

Any new short-term rental accommodations will be required to pay all applicable fees up-front.  See full fee schedules in Development Services Fees Bylaw 1104 and Business Licence Bylaw 1126.

For Hosts

A guide (link here) to what short-term residential host/operators need to know to be a responsible operator in Hinton.

For Guests

A guide (link here) to provide information on the Town of Hinton’s bylaws that are relevant to guests staying in short-term residential accommodations.  Your host/operator are required to provide this guide to their guests at check in.


Short Term Rentals Approved by the Town of Hinton

Civic AddressType of STRBusiness Licence Number 
174 Hallam DrivePrincipal Residence 7168
133 Reimer DrivePrincipal Residence 7194
400 Collinge RoadNon-Principal Residence7190
144 Sutherland AvenueNon-Principal Residence 7191
128 Bliss AvenuePrincipal Residence 7180
3059 Bradwell StreetNon-Principal Residence 7202
107 Belmont CrescentPrincipal Residence 7231
109 Moberly DrivePrincipal Residence 7242
377 Mountain StreetPrincipal Residence 7290
197 Mackay CrescentNon-Principal Residence 7327
509 Mountain StreetPrincipal Residence 7280
202 Woodley DriveNon-Principal Residence 7330
7, 145 East River RoadNon-Principal Residence 7341
148 Lodgepole DriveNon-Principal Residence 7343
101A Sunwapta DriveNon-Principal Residence7345
105 Sherwood StreetNon-Principal Residence 7344
103, 145 East River RoadNon Principal Residence 7347
223 Woodley DrivePrincipal Residence7314
166 Sherwood DrivePrincipal Residence7315
182 Hallam DrivePrincipal Residence7323
127 Guimond PlacePrincipal Residence7308
101B Sunwapta DriveNon-Principal Residence7373
370 Skogg AvenueNon-Principal Residence7377
134 Hood StreetNon-Principal Residence7380
439 Makenny StreetNon-Principal Residence7378
343 Gregg AvenueNon-Principal Residence7394
114 Lupin WayPrincipal Residence7362
104 Mistaya RoadPrincipal Residence7379
311, 457 Collinge RoadNon-Principal Residence7419
101 Huisman CrescentPrincipal Residence7391
202 Sutherland AvenuePrincipal Residence7395
117 Hansen DriveNon-Principal Residence7422
132 Rispler WayNon-Principal Residence7430
111 Laurel SquarePrincipal Residence7401
336A Boutin AvenuePrincipal Residence7351
161 Maligne DrivePrincipal Residence7415
160 Trestle Place Non-Principal Residence7265
121 Collinge RoadPrincipal Residence7452
126 Moberly DriveNon-Principal Residence7324

Please phone Development Services at 780-865-6010 or email for more information.