In 2009, the Hinton Transit System became a permanent service for the residents of Hinton. The town holds a contract with First Canada who own and manage the maintenance of the buses while the transit drivers run the service. This service runs 6 days a week throughout the community, on a fixed route and arrives at each stop on the hour. The buses hold 12 passengers, are wheelchair, walker, and stroller accessible as well as have bike racks.
Freedom Express Service
The Town of Hinton also manages the Freedom Express which is a 12-passenger bus fully equipped with lift and ramp for wheelchair users. Freedom Express is the door-to-door, accessible, shared ride transit service for Hinton residents who cannot use regular transit for some or all trips due to a physical or cognitive disability. Service is available for children with disabilities who qualify. The service may be used to go to school, work, therapy, medical appointments, all senior programs, and for social and shopping trips.
We have a great team of dedicated transit drivers and over 30 years of experience combined serving our community!
Transit hours are as follows:
|Cash fare||$3||$3 per ride|
|Day pass||$8||Unlimited, 1 person for 1 day|
|Monthly pass||$70||Unlimited, 1 person for 1 month|
|Punch card||$30||12 rides, no expiry date|
|Quarterly Senior's Pass - 3 months||$50||Unlimited, 1 person 65 or older|
Where to Buy
- Town of Hinton Government Centre
- Dr. Duncan Murray Recreation Centre
- The West Fraser Guild
- Rexall Pharmacy (Hill Shopping Centre)
- King Drug & Home Health Care (Valley Shopping Centre)
No Pets Permitted on Transit
Hinton Public Transit Advertising
Advertising space is available on the exterior and interior of the Transit buses, benches and bus stop shelters. There are also spaces available inside the buses for social non-profit agencies. You will get the most out of your advertising dollars with access to a wide audience for a reasonable price.
|10-ride punch card||$30|
Companions and aides ride for free.
Freedom Express punch cards are accepted on the Public Transit System.
Pickup time and drop-off time must fall within the following time frame: 9:00 am to 12:00 noon and 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm
It is important that passengers provide 24 hour advance notice for bookings. Please be ready 5 minutes ahead of scheduled pick-up time. Same day bookings will be accommodated whenever possible.
You must qualify under at least one of the following criteria:
- Requires the use of a wheelchair or scooter:
- On an ongoing basis – unlimited eligibility
- Until a specific date – eligibility only until the date specified
- Requiring dialysis treatment
- Unable to walk 175 metres (575 feet) outside:
- at all times – unlimited eligibility
- Cognitively challenged
- Has 20/200 vision or less, or a visual field of less than 20 degrees in both eyes (legally blind) not corrected by lenses – unlimited eligibility (i.e. even with glasses or contacts your vision, in both eyes, is still 20/200 or less).
- Has Alzheimer’s disease or Related Dementia (ADRD) which interferes with ability to use the regular fixed route transit system with an equivalent level of independence and safety.
- Send in your completed application form
- We will contact you within 5 business days of receiving your application
- You will likelybe required to attend our office for a functional assessment of your mobility and cognitive transit skills (if applicable) to:
- confirm your eligibility
- assess your ability to safely travel independently (if applicable)
- review how your mobility equipment will influence your access to Freedom Express
- We will notify you of approval or denial of your application
- Ready to apply? Click here for the Application Form.
- Provide an Operating Schedule
- Book and cancel trips with driver by calling 780-817-0498 and leave a message
- 24 hour advance booking important to ensure your trip
- Same day bookings will be accommodated whenever possible NO GUARANTEE
- Be ready 5 minutes ahead of scheduled pick-up time
Fare Purchase Locations
|Adult Day Program||122 Market Street|
Hinton, AB T7V 2A2
|Dr. Duncan Murray Recreation Centre||805 Switzer Drive|
Hinton, AB T7V 1H2
|King Drug & Home Health Care||145 Athabasca Avenue|
Hinton, AB T7V 2A4
|Hinton Continuing Care Centre||1290 Switzer Drive|
Hinton, AB T7V 1E9
|Rexall Drug Store||177 Pembina Avenue|
Hinton, AB T7B 2B2
|Pine Valley Seniors Lodge||177 Boutin Avenue|
Hinton, AB T7V 2E3
|Canada Safeway||Parks West Mall|
900 Carmichael Lane
Hinton, AB T7V 1Y6
|Lions Sunset Manor||110 Jasper Street|
Hinton, AB T7V 1X2
|The Guild||821 Switzer Drive|
Hinton, AB T7V 1V1
|Government Centre||2nd Floor|
131 Civic Centre Road
Hinton, AB T7V 2E5