Election Bannering
ToH Logo

Ask the Town: Voting

With Candidates officially nominated, the Town of Hinton has compiled another Ask the Town to ensure that you get all the answers you need ahead of election time.

Can I vote?

If you are a Canadian resident of 18 years of age or older who has resided in Alberta for the last 6 months (as of Election Day) with a current place of residence in Hinton, you are eligible to vote. Please ensure you come prepared with the appropriate identification.

Do I need ID to vote in the election?

In order to vote, you must produce identification stating your name and address. For example, a Driver’s License, bank or credit card statement, or correspondence from a school, college, or university would all be acceptable. There are other options available; visit hinton.ca/election17 for a complete list of acceptable forms of identification.

Can a renter vote?

Yes. If you meet the eligibility and identification requirements, you are able to vote.

If I own a business in Town but live elsewhere can I vote in Hinton?

Not if your place of residence is outside of Hinton. A person can only hold one place of residence at a time, and can only vote in that area.

Can I get time off work to vote?

Electors have the right to have three (3) consecutive hours to cast their vote while the voting station is open (s. 58 Local Authorities Election Act).

If the employee’s normal employment hours already allow three consecutive hours to vote (for example, the employee’s shift ends at 5:00 p.m., the employee is expected to vote during his or her non-working hours. If, however,  the hours of the employee’s shift do not allow for three consecutive hours, the employer shall allow him or her the additional time for voting that is necessary to provide three consecutive hours, at the convenience of the employer, and the employer shall not make any deductions from pay or impose any penalty on the employee.

Are there any voting options for voters with limited mobility?

The Town wants to make voting accessible for all electors. We are offering free public transit to and from voting stations, at-home voting for incapacitated electors who cannot come to the voting stations (electors must sign up for this service), and institutional votes at Pine Valley Seniors Lodge, The Good Samaritan Society Mountain View Centre, and the Hinton Healthcare Centre (this service is only for residents, not for staff members). Please call or email Jenna at 780-740-8059 or jaltrogge@hinton.ca to inquire about these options.

Do I have to vote for the whole number of candidates?

For Councillors, you can select up to six (6) candidates. For Mayor, you can select one (1) candidate. You may only vote once for each candidate.

When and where are the votes held?

Advance Vote
Saturday, October 7, 2017 from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Dr Duncan Murray Recreation Centre (805 Switzer Drive)

Advance Vote
Wednesday, October 11, 2017 from 10:00 AM to 8:00 PM
Dr Duncan Murray Recreation Centre (805 Switzer Drive)

Election Day
Monday, October 16, 2017 from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM
Hinton Centre (965 Switzer Drive)

When are election results official?
Election results are considered official at 12 noon on the fourth day following Election Day, in this case, on October 20, 2017. The returning officer may publish unofficial election results.

Vote Ad
Powered by CivicSend - A product of CivicPlus