Spring ice may collapse suddenly and without warning!
When water freezes, minerals in the water make vertical veins in the ice. These veins melt faster than the rest of the ice, causing vertical channels. The ice is severely weakened along these channels. What could once support a truck can not longer support the weight of a child.
Know the signs of rotten ice!!
- Rotting ice beings to look grey and splotchy.
- Be aware that ice can erode from the bottom up, with no obvious warning signs at the surface.
- Melting ice up stream can create run-off that weakens river ice.
- Ice near the shore will melt quicker than ice further out.
- Saltwater run-off from roads and melting snow dumps can create “hot spots” that weaken the ice.
- Three stumps, rocks, and docks heat from the sun, causing the ice around it to melt.
CLICK HERE to watch our video on ice safety!