Permits & Applications

When is a permit required?

If you are planning changes to your property such as constructing or renovating a building or changing the use of a building or land, you will need a permit from the Town of Hinton.

A development permit is not the same as a building permit. A development permit allows a specific type of development on a specific parcel of land in the community to proceed with the zoning and development bylaws of the Town. A development permit may stipulate some of the following conditions: the allowed use of the property, intensity of that use, building height, building site coverage, setbacks from property lines and other buildings and parking requirements.

A building permit allows construction of buildings or structure to proceed on condition of compliance with the Alberta Building Code which addresses building and fire safety. A building permit is required for the construction, alteration, repair, relocation, demolition, or change of use of a building.  Accessory buildings, and non-hazardous accessory buildings under 100 square feet (10m2), are exempt. Building permits can be obtained through an accredited Alberta permit  licensing agent. To find an accredited agent for your municipality please go here:  The Town of Hinton does not issue Building Permits.

Development Permits deal with a development’s impact on surrounding properties.  Building Permits deal with the structural stability of building/structures and the health and safety of the building’s occupants.  Regulations and procedures may seem intimidating so please talk to Town staff as you prepare your plans so we can help.  We’ll tell you about any other approvals that may affect your plans or costs.

Meeting with us early can help you avoid surprises and help ensure that your project goes as planned. 

Application Forms

Fire Safety Plan 

A Fire Safety Plan sets out specific items for inclusions to provide a safe environment for workers and outline emergency procedures at sites where construction, alteration and demolition are occurring. These provisions also ensure that hazard control measures are in place and maintenance of firefighting measures and systems required elsewhere in Alberta Fire Code.  

When do I need a Building Permit?

Local bylaws and provincial regulation govern when you need a permit.  This may vary with the circumstances of your project.  It's always best to check with authority having jurisdiction before starting any new work.  You can choose to ask one of the accredited agencies.