The Guild Performing Arts Venue
Looking to sponsor the venue? You only have until October 15
Contact the Town of Hinton to find out more by clicking here!
During the Regular Council Meeting on December 1, 2015 Hinton Town Council made a decision stating: “That the Arts Venue project be advanced as a full build-out costing up to $6 million, with any shortfall in funding (once grants, sponsorships, community fundraising etc. are maximized) be covered by a 4.5 million debenture”.
The full scope of the project will be completed by two different General Contractors. The 1st phase is for the full renovation and buildout of the facility, awarded to Jen-Col Construction Ltd. The 2nd Phase will be for the fit out of furnishing, fixtures and equipment specific to operating the facility as a performing arts venue and theatre. The scope of work for the second phase will be tendered December, 2016.
The motivation behind the Performing Arts Venue was to create a place for theatre production, cinema, lecture hall and exhibit space where arts and cinema can have a home in our community and region. This dedicated multi-use space defines Hinton as a community that supports, invests, grows and celebrates the value of arts and cinema, and the ways in which they strengthen and enrich our region.
The Performing Arts Venue replaces the Roxy Theatre which was destroyed by fire in 2009. The Guild site is now identified as a destination for performing arts and theatre.
Project Grants and Community Fundraising:
The Performing Arts Venue project has approximately $2.5 million in secured funding from sources such as:
- Canada Cultural Spaces Fund ($1 million Federal Government Grant);
- Community Facility Enhancement Program ($1 million Provincial Government Grant);
- Insurance proceeds; and
- Yellowhead County Cost-Sharing Agreement.
Estimated Construction Updates and Time Frame:
The project remains on schedule to have a soft opening in September, 2017 with a grand opening being planned and scheduled for late fall!
The new Potter building is now complete and the keys were handed over to the Arts Society of Hinton. The new build has provided 120m2 (1300 sq. ft.), self-contained facility housing 12 potter wheels and 3 kilns.
- Design Elements
- Project Partners
- Construction Progress
- FCSS Returns Home
The current arts space (fire bays) will be upgraded to accommodate the new theatre and stage area. Retractable theatre seats are included with seating accommodations/space in the front rows to support persons with disabilities.
The stage size is approximately 16m x 7m (52.5 ft. x 23 ft.) with curtains and screen for cinema.
New construction of 90m2 (968 sq. ft.) at the rear of building will serve as the back of house for performers complete with storage and an overhead door access for loading materials from outside. Four sea cans will be located on site to support long term and short term storage needs.
A Digital Sign (two faces) for advertising events will also be incorporated in the new landscaping area which will incorporate outdoor seating, bike racks, landscaping complimented with trees and plantings.
The Potter’s Studio new build will provide 120m2 (1300 sq. ft.), self-contained facility housing 12 potter wheels and 3 kilns.
• The Guild is limited in its expansion to the West due to a major ATCO utility right-of-way which contribute to the final expansion design facing Switzer Drive• Traffic Accommodation will be put in place for pedestrian traffic impact on Switzer Drive due to the new construction. The walking path directly in front of the Guild will be restored as quickly as possible and we thank everyone for following the directional signage allowing us to keep you safe. The area is very tight to work within and unfortunately rerouting pedestrian traffic to the back of the building will be needed from time to time to support the safest route for all involved.• Communication Towers have already been removed and relocated by the Town to support the new construction. Notice will be provided to those impacted as underground or overhead communication lines are relocated and aligned to the new utility corridor.• The construction schedule is subject to weather conditions.
• Arts Society of Hinton (ASH) and its membership along with the Rotary Club of Hinton and many other group members have invested voluntary time and energy to provide insight into the design and support to bring this project to its full potential.It is through these partnerships that this project is being realized and moves forward to establishing a venue that our immediate and regional community can participate in the enjoyment of the performing arts and theatre.
• Marshall Tittemore Architects represents the design for renovating the space to the Performing Arts Venue theatre and cinema, and the Potter’s Studio.
• Schick Shiner and Associates Ltd. represents the venue’s theatre and design requirements and considerations. They have been instrumental in developing and guiding the development of an operating model that will be presented to Council in Fall, 2016.
• ISL Engineering and Land Services represented the Structural System, Civil System and Landscape Architecture design requirements and considerations. ISL will also be overseeing the construction details to ensure that the design details and contractual obligations are being meet to the design standards.
• Williams Engineering Canada Ltd has presented the Mechanical and Electrical System design requirements and considerations and will also contribute to site inspections to ensure that the design details and contractual obligations are being meet to the design standards
• Jen-Col Construction Ltd., the General Contractor, is the successful bidder from tendering process and mobilized to site on August 15, 2016.
Current Status (as of 02/05/2017):
The Performing Arts Venue expansions to the front and back of the Guild are evident as you drive by and the new footprint for the Performing Arts Venue is become a reality in our community! The building has undergone much interior renovations with walls being removed, electrical and mechanical installations underway, the stage floor framing is starting to shape the floor plan and layout of how the performing arts and cinema will be host to performers and patrons within the venue. The theatre fit-out equipment which includes the theatre seating and the operational equipment for performing arts and cinema remains on schedule for installation in mid to late summer, 2017.
ASH and the Town of Hinton are working together to draft a Contract Management Agreement supporting the Town-owned/Society-operated model that Council approved last year. Don’t wait for the facility to open this Fall… book now by calling Denise Boutin at 780-865-0296!
Estimated Construction Updates and Time Frame:
At this time the project is on schedule and the estimated schedule for completion with exterior finishing and landscaping is schedule to complete in Fall, 2017.
Sponsorship Update #1
Sponsorship Update #2
There are many ways you can help support this facility. Please Consider one of the below sponsorship options, or donor opportunities. Find out more below, or by downloading our sponsorship package.
Individual donors will be recognized at The Guild on our Donor Wall. Without the tireless dedication and generosity of so many, this project would not have been realized. Therefore, we feel it is important to ensure those individuals, families, organizations and corporations that have supported this project are permanently recognized.
APPLAUSE: Donations between $1000 - $9999
STANDING OVATION: Donations between $10,000 - $19,999
ENCORE: Donations $20,000 and over
We've developed multiple options for interested sponsors to support this project, and ways to see their support in it.
Take a Seat Campaign
Individual supporters of the arts can 'take a seat' by purchasing a $500 seat sponsorship in the performance hall. Each sponsor will be recognized by a plaque on the seat.
The Reel Deal
Please note: Seat sponsorship does not entail any ownership or right to first refusal on the seat for ticketed or unticketed events.
The Guild Performing Arts Venue will be outfitted with equipment to allow for movie showings. Consider providing a Cinema Sponsorship to support this community need.
Take Centre Stage
The stage at The Guild will be like no other in the region. Designed to accommodate large productions, or to showcase an individual artist, the stage and performance hall at The Guild provides state of the art lighting and sound. Every seat will have incredible sightlines to the action happening on stage.
For performances featuring dinner theatre service, or for daytime creative uses of this space, the seats retract and create room for a multitude of purposes. We are looking for a title sponsor for the stage and performance
hall. Residents and visitors of Hinton and area may attend the next big production in a space bearing your company or family name.
Make an Entrance
The incredible open air entrance hall of the performing arts space will be Hinton's new signature meeting place. Complete with coat check, bar/concession, and washrooms, this 3,000 sq ft lobby space adjoining the performance hall will easily accommodate upwards of 200 people. The Lobby Sponsor will have the privilege of naming this space. Your 'company name' (or name otherwise specified) will be used in all reference to events taking place in the entrance hall. As well, appropriate signage recognition will be prominently located.
Your Name in Lights
The opportunity for venue sponsorship for The Guild Performing Arts Venue is currently available. Individual and corporate naming rights can give exposure of your company or family name featured on all exterior
signage, as well as all public advertising and playbills.
Have a lasting role in this exciting venue and share your support of arts and culture in Hinton and region by sponsoring the performing arts venue
Deadline for Chair Purchases is December 31, 2017
You can make a difference in helping The Hinton Performing Arts Venue become a regional home for the arts. Fundraising is an important part of making projects like this one a reality.
If you'd like to stage a fundraising event, please follow this link to our fundraising sign up form. Filling out this form offers the Town the opportunity to offer support to your group, like placement in our community calendar and possibly other online resources. We also have a banner for use at official fundraisers, it can lend your event a professional and official resource.
Groups Currently Involved in Fundraising
As groups submit official forms, we'll recognize their efforts here.